Nothing is more comforting or delicious than mac and cheese. In our opinion anyway.
Here we share our vegan mac and cheese recipe! This non-dairy, lactose free recipe has all the tasty, creamy texture of macaroni and cheese but is made without any animal-derived ingredients at all, and it’s easier to make than you might think.
Dairy-free, Vegan Cheese Sauce Ingredients
3 medium sweet potato, baked
1 scoop of Pea Protein Unflavoured
100g pre-soaked cashews
1 clove garlic
½ cup (50g) Nutritional Yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1tbsp juice of lemon
1 cup almond milk
½ cup water
50ml full fat coconut milk
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp onion powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chili
Vegetable Base Ingredients
400-500g raw cauliflower
300g butternut squash “spaghetti”
Mixture of 1 tbsp coconut four & 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
Vegan Mac and Cheese Method
- Soak cashews in boiling water for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Cut cauliflower into equal, bite-size pieces and bring to boil in a pan until medium-soft and bake the sweet potatoes in the oven until tender. The peel should come off easily from the potatoes at this point. Strain out the cauliflower from the water. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the cashews, sweet potatoes and coconut milk to a food processor and process into a paste (you will need to scrape down the sides).
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, pea protein, almond milk, water, olive oil and all the herbs & spices. Blend until very smooth. This may take a couple of minutes. Adjust seasoning to your taste with salt & pepper.
- Pour half of the sauce over the cauliflower and toss gently with a spatula to coat.
- Transfer half of the butternut squash to a lightly-greased baking dish.
- Pour the cauliflower cheese sauce over the top and repeat with butternut squash spaghetti and the remaining sauce. Use a spoon to smooth out the top.
- Stir together all of the breadcrumb toppings and sprinkle onto the top of the dish. Bake until heated through and topping is crispy, which should be about 25-30 minutes.