There’s nothing quite as festive as a gingerbread house! A real showstopper, it is the crème de la crème of festive baking and this one is almost too pretty to eat!
If you’re looking for a more inclusive recipe that caters to vegan and dairy free diets, we’ve created the recipe for you. With no animal-derived ingredients, all your friends and family can enjoy, and get an added protein boost in the process. Try our tasty, alternative Vegan Gingerbread recipe and make your very own festive scene.
For the Vegan Gingerbread Men
20g Pea Protein Roasted Cocoa
Buy Pea Protein Roasted Cocoa
20g Pea Protein Classic Vanilla
Buy Pea Protein Classic Vanilla
75g vegan butter
10g Nutristrength Coconut oil, room temperature
Buy Coconut Oil
100g Sukrin Gold All Natural Sweetener Brown Sugar or coconut sugar
30g date syrup
2 Flax Egg*
1 tsp natural vanilla powder or vanilla bean paste
120g almond flour
40g coconut flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp gingerbread spice mix**
30ml warm almond milk
Pinch of salt
Vegan icing (for decorating)
100g Powdered erythritol***
3 tbsp almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. In a mixing bowl, prepare flax eggs.
3. Add the vegan butter and Sukrin gold/coconut sugar to an electric mixing bowl and cream together.
4. Add the date syrup, vanilla and flax egg to the electric mixer and beat together with the vegan butter mixture.
5. Add almond flour, coconut flour, pea protein powders, baking soda, spices, salt to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Stir until well combined. Your dough should hold its shape when pressed, but not feel dry.
6. Carefully roll out dough to a little thicker than 1/4-inch-thick between two sheets of parchment paper. Dip your cookie cutter in almond flour each time so it doesn’t stick. Move the gingerbread men to a parchment lined baking tray.
7. Make your shapes****
8. Bake for 15 minutes. They'll continue firming up as they sit on the pan.
9. Once cooled, decorate with frosting. It will firm up at room temperature
10. The batch should make between 12-15 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
11. Store covered at room temperature for several days.
* 1 flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for 3 minutes (you need 2 flax egg in this recipe)
** Make your own gingerbread spices: 2 tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp ground ginger, 2 tbsp ground allspice, 1 tbsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tbsp ground cloves, Pinch ground black pepper
Shake all the ingredients together in a jar with a lid.
*** or grind 100 grams (3.5oz) of erythritol natural sweetener or you can use powdered icing sugar
**** You can use gingerbread house kit to create and decorate your very own Christmas gingerbread house or make your own template.