Savoury Protein Pancake Recipe – with oat cream cheese!
We love pancakes! And, with Pancake Day on the horizon, we wanted to bring you an alternative protein pancake recipe. This savoury protein pancake mix is made with lentils, spinach and Goat and Sheep Whey Protein – making it the perfect lunch or dinner!
Goat and Sheep Whey is a great alternative to traditional cow’s milk-based whey as many people find it easier to digest, leaving them less bloated, and can even be an option for people who have allergies to cow’s milk and its casein. You can read more about it in our guide What is Goat and Sheep Whey Protein?, or learn why you might struggle to digest protein in our work with an expert research scientist from Prairie View A&M University.
This recipe can also be made vegan by swapping out the Goat and Sheep Protein for Pea Protein and adding more water.
Give it a go and let us know what you think!
For the Protein Pancake Mix
250g cooked lentil
1 sachet Goat & Sheep Whey Protein, Unflavoured
Buy Goat and Sheep Whey protein unflavoured
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 handful fresh spinach leaves
4 tbsp buckwheat flour (oat flour will work too)
1 tsp fresh thyme
Coconut oil for frying
Buy Coconut Oil
* if you are vegan you can use unflavoured pea protein but you have to add more water into the mixture
For the Oat Cream Cheese
50g gluten free oats
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup warm cashew milk
Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions on the pack. Pour into a medium bowl, cover with water add garlic cloves and blend until smooth.
- Add spices, buckwheat flour, protein powder, thyme, salt and pepper and mix together. Chop the fresh spinach leaves and stir into the batter.
- Heat the oil in a small pancake pan over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and fry 3 tablespoons of the batter for approx. 3 mins each side.
- Serve the pancakes with homemade oat “cream cheese”. Enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed making your savoury protein pancakes with Goat and Sheep Protein! Remember to share your photos with us with #ExploreSomethingNew