Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Number of servings: 6 bars
Nutrition Value 1 bar
Protein 10 g
Popcorn is a popular treat when watching films at the cinema but this type is usually coated in huge amounts of sugar and salt and can be very high in calories. Plain popcorn, however, is very nutritious, with an air-popped (rather than popping with butter or oil) 28.4g serving providing 106 calories, 1.2g fat, 3.6g fibre and 3.1g protein.
Popcorn has been around for centuries with the Aztecs even using it in headdresses to honour their god of maize and fertility. These days it is regarded as a, potentially underrated, snack that can be used in a variety of recipes, including this tasty Sweet ‘n’ Salty Protein Popcorn Bar.
With 10g protein per bar, it’s the perfect post-workout bar!
Popcorn Protein Bar Ingredients
For the base layer
1.5 scoop Pea Protein Chai Spices*
30g almond butter
30g dairy free butter, soft**
40g Nutristrength coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp maple syrup
60ml almond milk, room temperature***
60g slightly salted popcorn
*All vegan options in this recipe can be substituted. Pea Protein Chai Spices can be swapped for Whey Protein
**Dairy-free butter can be swapped for dairy butter
***Almond milk can be swapped for dairy milk
For the top layer
150ml coconut cream, chilled
2tsp almond butter
2tbsp Nutristrength Coconut oil, melted
3tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp turmeric powder
Sprinkle with popcorn
Popcorn Bar Method
- In the bowl, mix melted coconut oil, dairy free butter, almond butter, maple syrup, almond milk and protein powder from the base layer ingredients until well combined.
- Fold the popcorn into the cream and stir well until evenly coated.
- Mix all the top layer ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over on the base layer, spread evenly.
- Line a cake tin with greaseproof paper and press the bars into the tin.
- Freeze it at least 1 hour before serving.
- Once set, slice and serve.