As we dip a toe into autumn and turn our heating on for the first time, this Orange and Pumpkin Cake with added protein is the perfect pud to cosy up to the fire with.
Making the most of seasonal fruit and vegetables, this cake is as delicious as it is beautiful. It's also the perfect way of celebrating National Cake Week and World Vegetarian Day as a cake that ticks both boxes, give it a go!
Orange and Pumpkin Cake Ingredients
15g Whey Protein Roasted Cocoa
100g ground almond
30g coconut flour
70g almond flour
15g cacao powder, unsweetened
40g butter or coconut oil, melted
20g natural sweetener (I used erythritol)
60ml nut milk
15g Pea Protein Classic Vanilla
280g cream cheese
200g coconut cream
90g natural sweetener
200g oven baked pumpkin puree
20g tapioca starch
1 orange & zest
1tsp ground ginger
1 can coconut milk, full fat
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange
1tbsp maple syrup
Orange and Pumpkin Cake Method
- For the base, mix together the based ingredients using your hands. Press crumb mixture into a springform pan. With your hands, firmly press down, making and even layered crust.
- To make the cream, hand blend and pulse the eggs and pumpkin in your food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until lightly bubbly.
- Pour mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 175°C and reduce heat to 130°C and bake for 50 minutes. The edges should be firm and the middle should be a little jiggly, it will firm up as it cools.
- For the toppings, whip the chilled coconut cream with the maple syrup and orange juice until firm and fluffy. Spread over on the top of the baked cake.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours. Enjoy!
With a great mix of colours, the orange and pumpkin will brighten up any October evening. Take a picture of how yours turns out and share them with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with #ExploreSomethingNew.