How to make vegan sushi
If you’ve just switched to a vegan diet, it’s perfectly normal to start to miss certain foods that are now out of reach. We’re not talking about cheese here (because our vegan Mac and Cheese recipe more than makes up for that!) no, we’re talking about sushi.
That’s why we’ve come up with our added protein vegan sushi recipe! With a savoury and a sweet option, they make for a great snack, lunch, dinner or dessert! So, try our versatile vegan sushi and let us know what you think.
Vegan Sushi Wrap Ingredients
3-5 leaves Kale 1-2 large portobello mushrooms 1/2 avocado 100g tempeh 3 sheets Nori (sushi seaweed) 1 handful spinach Coriander
Tahini dressing Ingredients
Tahini dressing 1 tsp Pea Protein Unflavoured
1 tsp soya sauce or liquid amino
1 tsp tahini sesame seed butter
1/2 tsp juice of lime
3 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 garlic powder
Pepper & salt
2 tsp water Chilli (if you want spicy rolls)
Vanilla Tahini Dressing Ingredients
2 tsp tahini sesame seed butter
2 tsp Pea Protein Classic Vanilla
1 tsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
1 tsp coconut sugar
2-3 tsp water Pinch of salt
Vegan Sushi Method
1. Steam kale and pan fry the mushrooms and tempeh.
2. Cut the cucumber and avocado into slices.
3. Make your savoury & sweet tahini dressing then mix everything together until creamy and smooth.
Savoury sushi method
1. Arrange the nori sheet on a work surface.
2. Spread the kale in a thin layer over the nori sheet.
3. Layer the mushrooms, tempeh, spinach, coriander, cucumber and spread tahini dressing all over.
4. Gently but firmly, roll the edge closest to you toward the centre of the nori wrap, carefully rolling a sushi-like roll. (Note: a bamboo sushi mat makes this easier)
5. With a sharp knife cut in half and enjoy.
Sweet sushi method
1. Spread the kale in a thin layer over the nori sheet.
2. Layer the avocado, spinach, mushroom, cucumber and spread vanilla tahini dressing all over.
3. Gently but firmly, roll the edge closest to you toward the centre of the nori wrap, carefully rolling a sushi-like roll. (Note: a bamboo sushi mat makes this easier)
4. With a sharp knife cut in half and enjoy.
Add a thin slice banana into your sweet rolls. What’s your favourite – sweet or savoury? We’d love to hear your thoughts, share photos of your creations with us using #ExploreSomethingNew across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.