High Protein Salted Caramel Hot Cross Buns
Were you unable to get hold of this hot commodity this Easter? Stuck on a new obsession? Make them yourself using our plant-based protein powder.
Ingredients for salted caramel hot cross buns
- 500g wholemeal flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 scoop Pea Protein Vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
- 50g coconut sugar or natural sweetener
- 80g butter, chopped into cubes
- 21g sachet of dried yeast
- 400g plant milk
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for the crosses and glaze
- 80g butter, room temperature
- 200g double cream
- 3tbsp date syrup
- 1/2tsp salt
- Honey for brushing
How to make high protein salted caramel hot cross buns
- Add the flour into a bowl and stir in the protein powder, salt, mixed spice and sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips. Then sprinkle over the yeast and stir in. Gently warm the milk so it is hot, but still cool enough to put your finger in for a couple of seconds. Beat with the eggs, then pour into the dried ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients into a moist dough. Take out of the bowl and cut the dough into 9-12 equal pieces.
- Shape the dough into buns on a floured surface. Cover with the tea towel and leave in a warm place for a further 45 - 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- When the buns are risen, heat the oven to 180C/gas.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire cooling rack, brush over a little honey to glaze, and then leave to cool.
How to make the glaze
- Combine all the ingredients, stir until creamy and smooth. Leave to cool for 30 mins before in the refrigerator. Pour into a food bag and make a nick in one of the corners. Pipe crosses on top of each bun.
Made these yourself? Make sure you snap a picture and tag us on Instagram @Nutristrength #Nutristrength