Doughnuts are the sweet treat everyone deserves to enjoy. This doughnut recipe is not only gluten-free and vegan-friendly but, with the added pea protein, it can keep you full until tea time!
You also won’t believe how easy it is to make! All you need is a bowl, a mug and a microwave for this dairy-free doughnut mug cake.
Vegan Doughnut Ingredients
1 can reserved chickpea water (aquafaba)
5g chia seeds
25g cocoa powder
20g coconut flour
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbs smooth peanut butter
1 tsp baking powder
Gluten free Doughnut Method
1. In a medium bowl, drain the chickpeas and beat the water (aquafaba) until it starts to look like fluffy meringue.
2. Add peanut butter and beat again until smooth and the batter has no clumps.
3. Add the chia seeds, coconut flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, coconut sugar and baking powder. Mix the batter gently with a spatula until smooth. The mixture will be quite thick.
4. Pour the batter into a microwave-safe mug. You want enough head space for the cake to rise without pouring over so try to use quite a large mug.
5. Microwave the mug cake for 2-3 minutes on high (depending on your microwave power). Then allow to cool to room temperature. It can look a little gooey on top, or around the edges, but it is done! Keep a close eye on your mug!
6. You can eat straight from the mug (warm brownie) or wait until it cools down completely.
7. To make the doughnut shape, place the mugs in a fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight. Remove the cake from the mugs. Press something into the centre of your cake to make a small hole and spread peanut butter or jam on the top. Sprinkle with raw cacao nibs and enjoy!